Tuesday, June 7, 2011

E3 Nintendo Conference Reaction

Our job here at NinTemple is to provide perspectives on Nintendo gaming from a more cultural perspective. So, you probably know all the news from Nintendo's E3. Let's talk some reactions ...

Overall? Not bad, not bad. The "Wii U" name is disappointing but I can see that gamers are already adopting it a lot more smoothly than I expected.

Will this new console and the 3DS be enough for Nintendo to win back their street cred? Sadly, we didn't really get enough information today to find out.

I feel like the processing power is, at best, on par with the PS3, which makes me think we will be right back where we are now in 3-4 years. In other words, 3rd parties put the real effort into the PS4 XBox720 version but only give the WiiU a side-story.

The WiiU controller looks surprisingly competent for a device that blurs the line between gamepad and, essentially, a tablet. I think it's smartly designed to be very versatile.

I am very, very, very, very happy that the WiiU will be working with the WiiBalanceBoard and with, of course, the WM+/nunchuk. We've all spent a lot of money on these devices and spent a lot of effort getting them to fit in our entertainment centers. So, I'm really glad I don't have to scrap all that and start over with a whole new mass of plastic.

On the software side, not a lot of surprises but Luigi's Mansion 2 was the biggest announcement for me. So glad that's a sequel and not a remake.

Kid Icarus continues to look amazing.

The Mario Kart 3DS game looks like it will be fun with the hangliding and under-water bits.

Also, the return of the TANOOKI suit in Super Mario 3DS means a lot to me. The Tanooki/Racoon Suit is my favorite Mario power-up of all time so... yea.

I think that's all for now but I'm sure there will be more to talk about as more information and announcements trickle in over the next few days!!

1 comment:

vgMastersClub said...

Thing is, I don't think the next generation is going to be about pure power like the current one is. It's going to be more about gimmicks to bring in the masses. Sony I see going into 3D gaming which will be meh. Don't know where Microsoft will go to but it will probably try to add the most power and use the Kinect again. Nintendo always innovates as far as features and the new controller looks like it could work.