Monday, October 19, 2009

thank you, Classic Controller!!!

so when I first got the Wii, I downloaded a VC title that I had always wanted to play but never did: Beyond Oasis for the Sega Genesis.

I found the normal wiimote was a little less than ideal for the game, so I went out and purchased a Classic Controller. problem solved. it felt great.

long after completing the game, I was a little sad with my purchase of the CC. since Beyond Oasis, I had only used it for one other game, Gyrostarr. and while it did feel better, I found that the normal wiimote is fine for Gyrostarr if the CC isn't within arms reach =P

fast forward again and I am playing Muramasa. I'm absolutely loving the game, but I'm a little frustrated with the "push up to jump" function. at first I thought I would love it because it feels like you're playing a fighting game (ala Street Fighter) but you aren't just limited to one opponent. even the direction + attack mechanic is reminiscent of a fighting game.

however, the analog nature of the analog stick made it kind of cumbersome. especially since the game relies heavily on carefully aimed jumps and DOUBLE jumps. (note: I had similar frustration with the GC controller's stick.)

enter, my forgotten savior, the CLASSIC CONTROLLER!! THANK YOU CLASSIC CONTROLLER!!! that thing gave an awesome game awesome controls. the d-pad on that puppy is big and comfy and my enjoyment of Muramasa was increased exponentially.

so, I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone... maybe you have a Nyko Perfect Shot, or a WiiZapper, or a turbo GC controller... and maybe they aren't seeming like the great buys they were on day one. but don't forget about them. they are just tools, and someday, they might be just the one you need!!

ps - Muramasa rocks my socks off. I still need to get one of the characters "best" endings, but the first one is soooooooo sweet. =)

discuss this on the Forum - [link]
or
leave a comment below...

1 comment:

TofuFury said...

Beyond Oasis sounds pretty cool. I think it's on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I've been meaning to check it out. Also the classic controller is pretty awesome, too. I always use it in Smash Brothers. When I get Muramasa, I plan on using the CC with it as well.